hotel ireland
dublin hotels
Travel Insurance | Airport Information | Ferry Information | Ireland Information | Car Hire

The Hotel Ireland Factfile

  The population of the Irish Republic (26 counties) is just over 3.5 million. Dublin is the largest city with 1,058,264 inhabitants and Cork the second largest with 420,510 inhabitants  
  Bringing your own car, motorcycle, station wagon, motor-caravan or caravan to Ireland by sea is very simple. You need:
1. Motor registration book (a letter of authority is needed if the registration is not in the visitor's name).
2 Green card or insurance certificate valid for the Republic of Ireland. a Driving licence or international driving permit (a provisional licence is not accepted). Please inform your insurance company of travel plans, particularly if you want full comprehensive cover It is import-ant to note that your vehicle may not be driven by an Irish resident during your visit, other than by a garage hand with your written permission.
  Passports are not required by British citizens born in the United Kingdom when travelling from Britain to Ireland. It is good practice, however, to carry identification. Residents ot or visitors to, Britain who do not hold a British passport and who are not European Union citizens will require a passport and may require a visa. Further information from the Irish Embassy. 17 Grosvenor Place, London SW1X7HR. Tel: 01712352171, Fax: 0171 2456961.  

There are no restrictions provided your pet is coming directly from Britain, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and has been resident there for at least six months. Dog Owners Please Note:
American Fit Bull Terrier
English Bull Terrier
Staftordshire Bull Terrier
Doberman Pinscher
German Shepherd (Alsatian)
Rodesian Ridgeback
Bull Dog
Bull Mastiff
Japanese Akita
Japanese Tosa

Regulations require that the above types of dogs and strains and crosses of these dogs be kept under tight control. These dogs, whenever in a public place must be kept on a strong chain or leash by a person over 16 years old who is capable of controlling them. They must also be securely muzzled and wear a collar bearing the name and address of owners. Breach of the regulations could incur a heavy fine or seizure of dogs or both.

  You will find that a growing number of hotels and guesthouses are adapting their facilities for people with disabilities. The National Rehabilitation Board have a county by county fact sheet and copies of this can be had by writing to their Access Dept., 25 Clyde Road, Dublin 4. Tel: (01)6080400. Fax: (01)6685029.  

If you, or a member of your party, need medical treatment you may go to a general practitioner who has an agree-ment with the Health Board. Take along some form of identification, e.g. driving licence. Make it clear that you wish to be treated under the EU's social securi-ty regulations. It is's recommended that visitors from EU countries other than Britain obtain an El 11 form prior to departure, and present this to the doc-tor/hospital as required.

Hospital treatment Admission to hospital is usually arranged by the doctor. In the event of an emergency admission, you should present identification to the hospital authorities. Hospital services are provided free in a public ward. Full details in the Traveller's Guide to Health available from post offices in Britain.

Cash benefits
If you think you are entitled to cash benefits, you should, within three days of falling ill, apply to: Department of Social Welfare, EU Records Floor 1, O'Connell Bridge House, Dublin 2. Tel: (01) 8748444.

  Everyone speaks English in Ireland. Officially the country is bilingual, English and Irish (the Gaelic language).  
  Since 1 January 1993, travellers are entitled to import increased quantities of duty paid goods - provided they can satisfy the authorities that the products in question are for their personal use. Under EU guidelines, travellers within the Community will be allowed to pur-chase up to 50 litres of duty paid beer, 25 litres of wine and BOO cigarettes. Anything more than these suggested levels and the onus is on the traveller to prove it is for personal use if required by customs. The new allowances should not be confused with duty-free allowances. For health control reasons, certain food items may not be taken into the Republic of Ireland.A limited amount of dog'cat-food can be brought into Ireland as long as it is tinned and precooked. It must be manufactured in the EU and clearly labelled.  
  Next to page 2 of the Ireland Factfile Back to Hotel Ireland